This version was a mixed bag of optimizations and new features. I slammed my head against the wall of the problem of merging walls to reduce the number of objects in the scene for over a day. It really shouldn’t have taken that long. I added a few “bells and whistles”…things that make the game marginally more polished but don’t change the gameplay.
Overall, I’m fairly satisfied with what the game has become. I feel like this might be a good time for me to move on. It’s not that there aren’t a bunch of things I’d like to add to the game (most notably, enemies) and fix, but I feel like I could learn more about game development faster by moving on to a new project. I’m always open to suggestions and feedback. So feel free to share.
Latest version: Maze Raider 1.0a
Updates in v1.0a
- Player has trailing particle effect to help orient them if they get turned around
- Added time bonus power up
- Adjacent walls merge to improve performance
- Game over camera shows you where the goal is
- Music speeds up when time is running low
- Changed some fonts because Arial is uninspiring
- Added HUD flashes to indicate the effects of a power up
- Fixed some bugs
- Removed the pillars from the room prefabs (Pillars are algorithmically placed to avoid “jagged” corners)
- Changed game over restart trigger to be any key press (couldn’t get the cursor to both show and move…grrr!)
- Updated the start screen…it’s still horrible but now it’s not AS horrible as is was
Perhaps at some later time, when my skills are sharper and my knowledge deeper, I will return to this game…